Tired of the taste that a box of powder produces, but don’t want to go through the tedious task of cooking homemade pudding on the stove? This recipe will detail how to quickly and easily make chocolate pudding from scratch using your microwave. You will need a MicroBuddy cooking container in order to duplicate the results because it is key to moisture retention, flavor preservation, and cooking speed, but the low cost easily justifies itself after a couple uses. Forget everything you know about how food gets ruined when you cook it in the microwave because when you use these containers, the finished product is less like a TV dinner, and more like what mom used to make. Follow the simple steps below to create a delicious dessert from scratch in under 15 minutes.
- 3 full eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Garnish – whipped cream, chocolate shavings, fruit or all three
- Large MicroBuddy container
- 1/3 cup water for container
- Mixing bowl and mixing cup
- 6 oz custard cups that are microwave safe
- Using a small mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add in salt, chocolate syrup and coffee.
- Mix well.
- Pour in milk while stirring with whisk and continue whisking until evenly blended.
- Using a cup, mix together half of this mixture along with the cornstarch.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add back with rest and blend thoroughly.
- Fill 6 oz. microwaveable custard cups with 4 oz of mixture each.
- Place filled cups onto cooking rack of Microbuddy.
- Add 1/3 cup water to the base of the cooking tray.
- Cover tray and cook on high. Heat for 8-16 minutes depending upon number being cooked. 1 = 8 min, 2 = 10-12 min and 4 = 14-16 min.
- Once cooked, cool to room temperature and the refrigerate.
- Before serving, garnish with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and fruit.
Variations: If you don’t dig the coffee flavor and would prefer regular chocolate pudding, just skip the coffee powder and maybe add a bit more syrup instead.
Who said it was difficult or impossible to make dessert from scratch. When you have the right tools, it can be just as fast as instant, but with way better taste. You can even stack containers while cooking to make a main dish right under your chocolaty dessert.